13 giugno 2011

La valigia più viaggiata a Roma - The most traveled suitcase in Rome

Well, the suitcase is finally here in my room at Residenza Candia, but before getting here it wandered through the streets of Rome, took a picture with the Trevi Fountain, and went down all 138 of the Spanish Steps.

Let's start from the beginning: my wonderful parents were on the phone with Delta almost all night US time (keep forgetting about the difference!) trying to work out the luggage issue (thank you so much guys!). Turns out the suitcase got to Fiumicino around noon, but the receptionist had copied down the wrong address, instead writing the address of AIA, our classroom building. It was thought at the time that they hadn't signed for it and that the bag was thus on its way back to Fiumicino, and would be shipped back to JFK if not claimed in a certain amount of time. Che disastro! My parents, myself, Claudia, and Paola tried everything to rectify the situation, but met insurmountable resistance from the Delta people.

Pause that thought, and let's start with the morning. Woke up at 8:15 (SO EARLY), got ready (minimal prep time because I only had one outfit and no makeup - thanks Anna!), headed over to class, which is 9:30-12:30 every day. It's a pretty far trip to La Piazza delle Cinque Scole, which is in the Jewish Ghetto of Rome, but the building is stunning. I can't believe people actually go to school there (no offense, Harvard. Or Mepham.).

Class was very basic grammar/verb review, and after we were free for 4 hours... uh, make that 2, since Anna and I spent the first two wandering the streets of Rome, very, very lost. We eventually ended up walking through the Vatican briefly; I cannot wait to go back and explore it in more detail - che bello! When we finally made it back, we went shopping for clothes in the event that my luggage didn't come (I just bought socks, underwear, and eyeliner - you know, the essentials!). We hardly had time to rest before our afternoon activity, a scavenger hunt type thing on Negozi Storici - historic stores of Rome. While we were planning out our voyage in the classroom, lo and behold, MY SUITCASE ARRIVED THERE. Gorilla luggage tag and all! I've never heard Mom so relieved on the phone! I thanked God again and again and left it there to pick up after the activity. Anna and I went to the first place, an old jewelry shop, and had an awkward encounter with the employees there, we'll just forget that happened.

By then, we had to go back to get my luggage before AIA closed. The suitcase bounced down all the flights of the winding staircase, then came with us to get gelato and find the second place, an old pharmacy. On the way, we stopped at the Trevi Fountain, where we each threw in a coin as per tradition. Looks like I'll be coming back to Rome one day! (Hopefully the suitcase will too next time!) :)

After finding the pharmacy, we headed to the nearby Piazza di Spagna, home of the famous Spanish Steps. We took a slight wrong turn and ended up at the TOP of the steps... so the suitcase made its way down every one of the 138 steps (laughter and shock and one man's, "No she isn't... Oh, yes she is!" did occur at this strange sight).

We also passed the Piazza della Colonna, with a column of such intricately graved detail that I was just awed. As I told Anna, every corner you turn here, there is a beautiful building. The architecture is simply stunning, especially in the piazzas. 

An additional 4ish hours later, we stood waiting, exhausted and sore, for the #492 bus to take us back to the hotel (naturally, this took forever, and we got slightly lost when we got off the bus...). We got back around 9, and fortunately the girls hadn't eaten yet either so we made (just kidding, two of the girls made) dinner - pasta, sauce, bread, fresh mozzarella and tomato with a balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!

After eating our lovely meal on the terrace, we all came in and did homework and now everyone else is sleeping and I am awake writing here (shocking, I know). I am overjoyed to be reunited with my luggage, and now it's time to get some sleep before class!

Days Recap:
Hours spent lost: ~3 
Hours spent struggling to roll my suitcase around on Rome's cobblestone streets / the Spanish Steps: ~3
Suitcases found: 1!!!! :) :) :)
Flavors of gelato tasted: Coconut (bleh) and tiramisu

A domani,
Michelina


PS - do they not stamp passports anymore at customs??? I didn't get one! :(

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento