31 luglio 2011

"Today I don't feel like doing anything...

...I just wanna lay in my bedddd" -The Lazy Song, Bruno Mars

Yes, today has been one of my favorite kinds of days - a real, true lazy day. I thought about getting up when my roommate's alarm went off at 8:30, but then I realized what an absurd idea that was and went back to sleep until 11, at which point I showered and emerged to find raspberry and mascarpone crepes with strawberry and basil topping and banana bread awaiting me! Today was our giant American-style brunch. Rachel, Greta and Sebastian handled the cooking, which meant all I had to do was sleep in and eat - I am so spoiled. As I waited for the second course - eggs and homefries with tomatoes and garlic and general yumminess, I basked out in the gorgeously bright (and hot!) sun on our balcony for a little, and I'm glad I took advantage of that opportunity because it's now completely gray and overcast and I think it may rain soon! :(

After the eggs and fries and some more banana bread (made from scratch by Rachel... she even made her own sour cream because they don't sell it in this country, like WHAT?!) I came back into my bed and spent a while catching up on this blog. At 5, I headed over to Creta Rossa (the clay laboratory) to pick up ornaments I had ordered... well, at least, that's what I thought I was doing. It turns out that those of us who had ordered ornaments thinking that Giuseppe and Michela were going to paint them FOR us and we'd BUY them, were instead going to be painting them *ourselves*. Uh oh. I tried to mimic my favorite design of theirs (a beach kinda scene with trabocchi, these apparatuses used for fishing), which went fine for my initial sketch but terribly wrong when I had to transfer it to the actual pallina (ornament). Painting them was even harder because the paint for clay is unlike anything I'd used before, plus I do not have a steady hand when it comes to making thin lines, and trabocchi require MANY thin lines. We'll see how it turns out, hopefully it will be better when it comes out of the oven!

After wrapping up work on my ornament, I left for mass at 7. I've decided to do one of my Living Language Journals on the differences I've noticed between mass here and mass at home because I've found them so fascinating, and because I'm somewhat surprised by how much I prefer mass in America. (I'm also just looking forward to hearing mass in English and knowing all the right responses and when to say them again!) 


I returned to Creta Rossa after mass and did a second ornament, this one in a dripped paint kind of design that will hopefully turn out somewhat like the awesome vases Michela and Giuseppe had made that it was modeled after. Again, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Anna, Brittanie and I stayed and talked with them for a little bit - they are SO nice and such talented artists. Then the three of us took a bus down to the Marina and ate at a pizzeria Michela and Giuseppe had recommended called Ippocampo. We split a pizza for 3, half tomato and prosciutto and half broccoli and sausage (both white pizzas). I admittedly do not like anything on my pizzas but I ate it all except the sausage and it really wasn't bad at all, just different! Don't expect me to do it again though. :P


I had never been to Vasto Marina at night before, so we walked around on the boardwalk and the pier afterward. It's all set up like a giant carnival at night, with rides and games and food and tons of street vendors, and there were a tonnn of people of all ages walking around in spite of the fact that it was midnight on a Sunday. It was all really cute, and there were definitely a lot of characters to meet there; I hope I get to go back again one night before we leave.


And now I am back in bed ready to enjoy my six hours of sleep before getting up bright and early to rehearse our third and final fable, Le tre melangole d'amore, which we are putting on for the kiddies at 5:30pm.


Buona notte!
Michelina

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento